Tuesday 16 August 2016

That Word Fastidious




This segment of my blog is inspired by Victoria Grace Howell Word definition that we get as part of her weekly Writerly Bundles and by me when I come across words I have a vague sense of the meaning but not a complete sense of the word.


I often come upon words that I either haven't heard of before I can't remember the meaning. These posts are for those words and in hopes of helping others remember the meanings and introduce them to words they may not know.

Our next word is...

Fastidious 

Where I Found It

This is a word I heard of before and thought I had a vague sense of the meaning. I came across it again recently while reading The Secret River by Kate Grenville.


The Definition/s 

  1. excessively particular, critical, or demanding; hard to please:
  2. requiring or characterised by excessive care or delicacy; painstaking. 

The Examples

From the book: Buckles of flesh creased down from his nose, and his upper lip gave him a fastidious look. 

My Sentence: Keira took fastidious care while placing her Mum's pictures around her new room.

My Thoughts

I learnt something new with this word. I like the meaning and definitely think it is a word I am likely to use more. Another thing I like about it is that it has a simple sounding to it even though it is a longer word. 

What did you think of this word? Have you heard it before? Would you use it? Do you think it is a word you can remember? 





2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this word and I have used it and heard it a ton of times! I think I've even used it in actual conversations which earns me weird looks. But what can I say?!? Awesome long words are the bessst. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the word too. I think I've realised even more while writing these posts how much I love words.

      Delete