Tuesday 21 February 2017

That Word: Expedite


That Word is the segment on my blog where I post new words that I discover newly or have jumped out at me once again. If you love finding new words this post is for you. If you're a writer looking for different words to describe some this post may also be for you. 

Expedite


Where I Discovered It

This is one of many words that was listed on a note in my phone. I can only assume that it stood out to me in some way. 



Defintion/s

  1. to speed up the process of; hasten
  2. to accomplish promptly, as a piece of business; dispatch
  3. to issue or dispatch, as an official document or letter.
  4. Obsolete. Ready for action; alert 

An Example Sentence 


To expedite the healing process is too dangerous when we don't fully understand what is wrong with them. 


My Thoughts


When I think of expedite, it sounds like a simple word. It is familiar, yet the meaning different. When I noticed this word on my list I had no extra information about where it could be from or what it was about. So, when I read it, I thought of it meaning something like being forcibly taken away from ones property or country. I guess I was thinking somehow it was something like evicted. Now obviously it's not, but that is what ran through my mind. 

It seems though this word contained something that made me think of it as simple and familiar it isn't. It has several meanings along the same line of context. They are both short and simple and complex. I would say, although, this word is short it is in fact one of the more complicated words I have introduced you to. 


Have you seen Expedite around before? What do you think of the word? Can you think of a cool example sentence to go with it? Would you use it? Have you used it before? Feel free to comment and tell me your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment