Tuesday 14 February 2017

That Word: Querulous


That Word is the segment on my blog where I post new words that I discover newly or have jumped out at me once again. If you love finding new words this post is for you. If you're a writer looking for different words to describe some this post may also be for you. 

Querulous 


Where I Discovered It


I wrote this at the top of the page on one of my notebooks in April. According to the note with it I found it on page 81 of The Secret River by Kate Grenville which was a book I was reading for school.



Defintion/s 

  1. full of complaints; complaining
  2. characterised by or uttered in complaint; peevish:

Example Sentences


At first Willie could not be got to lie down beside the baby, although he was exhausted, close to tears, his voice gone high and querulous. ~ p.81 The Secret River by Kate Grenville.

Although bullied, Lisa was not one to be querulous. ~ about one of my main characters

My Thoughts


When I read this and wrote it down, I'm not sure I really understood what the word meant. Now I do I am intrigued. It is not a word I will just past by with a vague interest of wanting to know what it means. It's another one of those long words that has a rather simpler meaning. I think that I could use it in my writing but there may be quite a few people who are not aware of it's meaning. 

What do you think? Have you heard of this word before? Have you used it or seen it used before? Would you use it? Tell me your thoughts in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment