Tuesday 11 April 2017

That Word: Ostentatious


That Word is the segment on my blog where I post new words that I discover newly or have jumped out at me once again. If you love finding new words this post is for you or if you're a writer looking for different words to describe something this post may also be for you. I generally find all these definitions using Dictionary.com.  

Ostentatious 

Where I Discovered It

This is another of those words I've listed in the notes on my phone some time back and just don't really remember exactly why, but it must've stood out to me in some way. It's quite possible I didn't fully understand the meaning behind the word. Also it was listed as unostentatious. 

Definition/s

  1. characterised by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in a attempt to impress others:
  2. intended to attract notice:

An Example Sentence


Because she was different, people often assumed she was trying to be ostentatious.

My Thoughts

When I looked up the first definition to this word I chuckled. It was using a couple of other longer words to describe it and without reading the end of the sentence I wouldn't have read on. The second definition however is much clearer. I think it makes it much more simpler. This is one of those words I may not use often, but I think it would be wonderful to use in a sentence to describe a character who may or may not be trying to attract notice purposely. It would be something different that another word that perhaps could be used. 

Ostentatious is one of those words that sounds exactly how I was saying it. Sometimes that's a score in our complicated English language. 


What are your thoughts? Have you seen or heard the word before? Did you realise what it meant? Have you used the word before? If not do you think you would use it in the future? Thanks for reading and feel free to comment. Visit this time next word for That Word: Promontory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment