Tuesday 1 August 2017

That Word: Facetious




That Word is the segment on my blog where I post new words that I discover newly or have jumped out at me once again. If you love finding new words this post is for you. If you're a writer looking for different words to describe some this post may also be for you.  


Facetious


Where I Discovered It


I discovered this word while reading The Sky So Heavy by Clair Zorn


Definition/s 

  1. Not meant to be taken seriously or literally
  2. amusing; humorous
  3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing or frivolous: 


Example Sentences


"These facetious kids. I doubt they could accomplish it."

This facetious joke was never meant to make the final cut, but it did.

"I'm not being facetious Fin. I'm trying to figure this out." - Arnold, p. 200.


My Thoughts


I like this word for it's definition. It's a different word to use for  something seemingly simple like 'amusing' or 'humorous'. I like that although simple this would can be used in a more complex way. Although it is also a word not many people may know. Still, I definitely think I would want to use it sometime.


What are your thoughts? Have you heard of 'Facetious' before? Have you used it yourself? What sentence would you create with it? Feel free to drop your thoughts in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment