Tuesday 22 August 2017

That Word: Flivver


That Word is the segment on my blog where I post new words that I discover newly or have jumped out at me once again. If you love finding new words this post is for you. If you're a writer looking for different words to describe some this post may also be for you. This week's word is...


Flivver


Where I Discovered It


Turns out I didn't write down where I found it. Whoops. 


Defintion/s 

  1. (Old Slang) an automobile, especially one that is small, inexpensive, and old. 
  2. (Slang) something of unsatisfactory quality or inferior grade.

Example Sentence


"Flivver," she said as she stared at her piece of artwork. 

My Thoughts


I think this is a unique word to describe a car, but obviously as it is termed as old slang would probably be used better in a book set some years ago where it would fit. 

Besides that the word almost reminds me of the word 'flipper'. Of course the v's make an obvious difference. I think because it sounds unique and would definitely be an interesting word to include in a story that may surprise people because it is something they are likely not to have heard or seen often before. 


What do you think? Have you heard or seen 'flivver' before? Have you used it before? Do you think you would use it in the future? Feel free to tell me your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment